I want to be able to run the ConfigMgr Admin Console as a different user to the one I’m logged into locally on my Windows 7 laptop but I don’t see a “Run As…” option when I right-click the “ConfigMgr Console” shortcut on my desktop.
Assuming you’ve already installed the Admin Console you first need to copy the “adminconsole.msc” from:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console\AdminUI\bin
NOTE: Depending on your security policy you might need to be logged onto the machine with an account with local admin rights before you can do this.
Next login to the machine with the account you want to configure the shortcut for.
Create the shortcut on your Desktop.
Right-click the shortcut and select “Properties“.
Click the “Target:” field and delete it’s contents replacing it with:
runas.exe /user:<domain>\<user_name> "mmc.exe adminconsole.msc"
is the domain containing the user account you want to run the MMC as and
is the user name you want to use.
Now when you run the shortcut a Command Prompt will open prompting for the password of the configured account. Once you’ve entered the password the Admin Console will load. When you enter the password and hit RETURN the text that flashes up before the Command Prompt is closed is:
Attempting to start mmc.exe adminconsole.msc as user <user_name>
If you want to reset the icon for the “ConfigMgr Console” shortcut to the proper one for the Admin Console:
- Right-click the shortcut and select “Properties“
- Click the “Change Icon” button at the bottom of the “Shortcut” tab.
- Click “OK” on the “Change Icon” dialog box which states:
- Click the “Browse…” button on the “Change Icon” screen.
- Browse to the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console\AdminUI\bin” directory.
- Select the “smssnapinresources.dll” and click “Open“.
- Click “OK” on the “Change Icon” screen to select the default (only) icon.
- Click “OK” on the “ConfigMgr Console Properties” screen.
Windows can't find the file %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console\AdminUI\bin\ADMINCONSOLE.MSC“
<img class="size-medium wp-image-8258" title="CM07 Admin Console Change Console Shortcut Icon" src="http://www.faqshop.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/Change-Icon-252×300.png" alt="CM07 Admin Console Change Console Shortcut Icon" width="252" height="300"