I’m experiencing issues with the ConfigMgr Administrator Console and I’ve been told enabling Verbose Logging could help me track down the issue, but I don’t know how I do this?
To enable Verbose Logging in ConfigMgr 2007 (all versions):
- On the machine running the Administrator Console where you want to enable Verbose Logging close the Administrator Console if it is open.
- Navigate to the “<InstallationPath>\AdminUI\bin” directory.
- Open “adminui.console.dll.config” in Notepad.
- Do a search for “SMS” which should take you to the line highlighted below:
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089″ >
type=”System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=126.96.36.199, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089″
SmsTextWriterTraceListener, AdminUI.SmsTraceListener” initializeData=”SmsAdminUI.log”/>
- Change switchValue=”Error” to switchValue=”Verbose”
- Load the Configuration Manager 2007 console.
- Navigate to the “<InstallationPath>\AdminUI\SMSAdminUI.log” file which will now detail the additional information captured by Verbose Logging.
NOTE: Be aware that there is a potential for sensitive information to be logged in the logs created when Verbose Logging is enabled so review the logs before sharing them with anyone. Also bear inmind that once you’ve finished troubleshooting your issue that you disable Verbose Logging as detailed in the “How do I disable Verbose Logging for the ConfigMgr Administrator Console?” FAQ to reduce the overhead of having this enabled.