I need to access Active Directory Users and Computers on my Windows 2008 ConfigMgr Site Server to create the various Accounts and Groups for ConfigMgr to use but when I look in the “Start” menu none of the AD Tools are there?
On Windows 2008 the Admin Tools aren’t installed by default (they are now known as the “Remote Server Administration Tools” (RSAT) in Windows 2008).
Probably the easiest way to install RSAT is through Server Manager:
- Load Server Manager (Start | Administrative Tools | Server Manager).
- Click “Features” in the left hand pane.
- Click “Add Features” in the middle pane.
- Expand the “Remote Server Administration Tools” option.
- Review the options and place a tick in the tick-box beside any options you want to install.NOTE: Although you can just select the “Remote Server Administration Tools” tick-box to install all options there are probably tools you don’t need.
- Click the “Add Required Role Services” button on the “Add Features Wizard” screen if prompted.
- Click “Next >”.
- If you had to add a role such as IIS click “Next >” on the introductory screen for the component.
- Select the services for the additional role you require then click “Next >”.
- Click “Install” on the “Confirm Installation Selections” screen once you’ve reviewed the roles, role services and/ or features that are going to be installed.The installation will proceed.
- Review the “Installation Results” screen for any errors. If no errors are displayed click “Close”.
You can also install RSAT through PowerShell or the Server Manager command line both of which are explained in the following article which also provides more information on RSAT: